JICA MINI GRANT PROJECTS 2015
Annual Report of JAAZ Alumni Association for FY 2015
Since 1995 JICA has been inviting Azerbaijan officials to its various training programs in Japan under the Technical Cooperation Scheme of the Government of Japan. So far, the number of participants from Azerbaijan accepted under JICA programs had exceeded 500.
JAAZ has established in 2001, and JAAZ is creating new impact on the network between ex-participants of JICA courses. Traditionally, the annual plan covers activities both in economic and cultural directions. Number of members about 350.
The FY 2015 year was successful for the Alumni Association and one of the finest examples of how JAAZ alumni can build and strengthen its network. JAAZ mission is to engage its alumni and share and disseminate knowledge acquired in Japan though JICA Training Programs as well strengthen Azerbaijan-Japan cultural relations. This brief annual report highlights some of Alumni Association’s accomplishments and activities this year.
These points include:
- Introduction of JICA Mini-grant projects initiative among JICA Alumni
- Successful accomplishment of two Mini Grant Projects in Azerbaijan
- Conducting an International conference on “Regional development and environmental protection to conduct an environmental assessment of soil” by JAAZ Alumni Mr.Faik Huseynov
- Printing informative materials on increasing public awareness on the usage of solar (photovoltaic) energy and energy-saving by JICA Alumni Mr.Jahid Mikayilov
- Dissemination of knowledge and experience, on-the job trainings conducted by Alumni members
Mini grant projects Implementation
- Regional development and environmental protection to conduct an environmental assessment of soil”
Agrarian Sciences Department of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences together with Institute of Erosion and Irrigation of ANAS and Soil Science Society of Azerbaijan organized the first International Conference on “The role of environmental assessment of agricultural land in development of regions and in protection of ecological balance”. This conference was held and funded in framework of program of “Mini Grant Projects from JICA Alumni Association budget for 2015”.
Mr.HUSEYNOV Faik, Chief Engineer of Institute of Irrigation and Erosion, (ex-participant of JICA KCCP on Agriculture Mechanization, December, 2011 – March, 2012) applied for captioned program and became a winner with project proposal of organizing international conference. He project was found as one the best projects and was selected to be financed by JICA Alumni Association budget for 2015.
About 50 scientists and ecologists from 17 scientific research institutes attended the Conference on December 15, 2015. This conference enjoyed the support of JICA, Agrarian Sciences Department of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Erosion and Irrigation of ANAS and Soil Science Society of Azerbaijan.
Keynote speakers included:
- MAMMADOV Garib, Full member of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS), academic-secretary of Department of Agrarian Sciences of ANAS, president of Soil Scientist Society of Azerbaijan. Topic: Development of Agriculture policy in Azerbaijan;
- AKBAROV Zeynal, Corresponding member of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS), Director of Institute of Genetic Resources. Topic: The year of Agriculture in Azerbaijan;
- GULIYEV Alovsat, Acting Director, Institute of Soil Science and Agro chemistry of ANAS. Topic: Reactions between soil water and solution of problems in this area;
- ALIYEV Zakir, Deputy Director, Institute of Erosion and Irrigation. Topic: The prospects for the development of the industry of Land reclamation in Azerbaijan and integration into the world of science;
- BABAYEV Vugar, Director Department of innovation of ANAS. Topic: Justification of ecological agriculture in Azerbaijan;
- ISMAYLOVA Nigar, JICA Program Coordinator in Azerbaijan. Topic: JICA activities in Azerbaijan;
- KURBONOV Farhod, Program Officer, JICA Uzbekistan Office. Topic: JICA mini grant projects JICA Training activities.
The Conference included opening ceremony, and three panel sessions. The first thematic session was devoted to Genetic, Breeding and Agriculture issues. Young researches Ms. RUSTAMOVA and Ms. MAMMADOVA presented their papers and discussed topics of genetic diversity of wheat, mixed infestation of poultry farms.
The second session concerned Soil Science and Agriculture Chemistry. The diagnostics and trends of different soil degradation processes, impact of soil degradation on soil multifunctionality, ecological rehabilitation of degraded soils, different ways of land management including irrigation were the main questions presented.
The third thematic sessions were devoted to Ecology and Closing session. It dealt with different ways of soil reclamation. Ecological assessment of pastures of Shirvan zones of Azerbaijan were the objects of the presentations.
In three panel sessions scientists and researches exchanged the views and new innovation activities in agrarian sphere, namely, soil and agro chemistry, erosion and irrigation. It was great opportunity to meet and interact with researches with a shared visions and common goals on problems of soil and water in relation to agriculture.
Conference organizing committee invited also scientists and researchers from CIS countries to submit abstracts for the conference. Totally 75 abstracts were submitted to the Conference, including 9 abstracts in “Genetic, Breeding, Agriculture section, 46 abstracts in “Soil Science and Agriculture Chemistry” section and 20 abstracts for “Ecology” section. Abstracts were submitted from scientists and researchers from Azerbaijan as well from Kazakhstan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.
Mr. MIKAYILOV Jahid from State Agency on Alternative and Renewable Energy Sources, ex-participant of JICA KCCP on Photovoltaic Power Generation Technologies (2014) was also invited to the conference. He also applied for JICA “Mini Grant Projects” with project of increasing public awareness on the usage of solar (photovoltaic) energy and energy-saving. The project considers publishing informative materials which will be distributed in schools.
Conference organize committee invited major local TV channels to make report on Conference.
The event was covered in Lider TV, AZTV, Ictimai TV. Elm.TV, Space TV, CBC TV channels and websites.
- http://www.azerbaijan-news.az/index.php?mod=3HYPERLINK “http://www.azerbaijan-news.az/index.php?mod=3&id=86007″&HYPERLINK “http://www.azerbaijan-news.az/index.php?mod=3&id=86007″id=86007
Photos of conference
Participants of conference
Speech by Mr. MAMMADOV
Speech by Ms. ISMAYLOVA
Mr.HUSEYNOV with JICA representatives
Speech By Mr. KURBONOV
Presentations by young scientists
Organizers of conference
- Printing informative materials on increasing public awareness on the usage of solar (photovoltaic) energy and energy-saving
Mr.Jahid Mikayilov from State Agency on Alternative and Renewable Energy Sources of Azerbaijan Republic, ex-participant of JICA KCCP on Photovoltaic Power Generation Technologies (2014) applied for JICA “Mini Grant Projects” with project of increasing public awareness on the usage of solar (photovoltaic) energy and energy-saving. The project considers publishing informative materials which will be distributed in schools.
Considering that there are nearly 300 sunny days a year, Azerbaijan Republic, is an ideal location for solar energy installations, which is why the State Agency on Alternative and Renewable Energy Sources wants to increase awareness on the usage of solar energy. Therefore this project addresses a method of creating this awareness: conversation and publications that stimulate renewable energy, particularly solar energy.
The implementation of the project have been done though following activities:
– Increasing student awareness of current energy, especially solar energy technologies and climate change in secondary schools of Baku city
– Implementation of programme on Information and Public Awareness using conversation and print media: Publication of brochures/folders/booklets/calendar on solar energy and also about ABOEM’s activities and projects, in particular, Samukh Agro Energy Complex project.
Under the project the following materials have been printed: booklets, folders, flyers, calendars special flyers, pencils, notebooks, button badge, car air freshener, bags, T-shirt and caps
The drawings about renewable energy sources of 5th grade students from Baku city Secondary school N10 and Baku city Secondary N129 were used in design of Calendar.
On March 7, 2016 Mr.Jahid Mikayilov conducted workshop in Baku city Secondary School N 10. More than 40 5th grade students participated at the workshop. Mr.Jahid Mikayilov gave information about State Agency on Alternative and Renewable Energy Sources of Azerbaijan Republic, renewable energy sources, usage of solar (photovoltaic) energy and energy-saving. He congratulate the students who provided drawings about renewable energy sources for Calendar and distribute informative materials to all students participated at the workshop. Ms.Nigar Ismaylova, JICA Program Coordinator for Azerbaijan also participated at the workshop, and briefed the paricipants about the activities of Japan International Cooperation Agency in Azerbaijan.
Informative materials on increasing public awareness on the usage of solar energy and energy-saving
Presentation of Informative materials to students of secondary school N 10 Baku city
Seminar at Secondary school N10 of Baku city and distribution of Informative materials
Presentation of Informative materials to students of secondary school N 10 Baku city
On-the job trainings conducted by JICA Training Participants
In November 8-21, 2015 Mr.Fariz Alekberov had a great opportunity to improve his practical skills and acquire knowledge from leading Japanese experts by participating at JICA training program on Food Safety Policy Making and Management in Tokyo, Japan. After his arrival he prepared policy recommendations for improvement of food safety and hygiene in Azerbaijan. At the same he made two presentations, one for students of colleges and another for administration of Azerbaijan State Agriculture University on 30.11.2015 and 07.12.2015.
During his presentations he shared knowledge and experience gained during training program, namely in respect of
(1) Laws and regulations concerning food safety in Japan
(2) Administrative system for food safety
(3) Compliance status with WTO and Codex in Japan
(4) Risk analysis methodology for food
(5) Regulations on agriculture, livestock and fishery products (2)
(6) Challenges for food safety and future responses
Presentation for college students
Presentation Azerbaijan State Agriculture University
On January 28, 2016, the Workshop on ‘Integrated Agriculture and Rural Development through the Participation of Local Farmers in Japan’ based on Training Program (October 12 – November 28, 2015, Tsukuba International Center TBIC, Japan) conducted by Mr.Ramil Nabiyev, scientific secretary of the institute, has been held in Ministry of Agriculture Vegetable Scientific Research Institute. Ms.Nigar Ismaylova JICA Program Coordinator for Azerbaijan also attended at the workshop.
Dr. Aladdin Eyvazov, Director of the Institute, opened the workshop and Ms.Nigar Ismaylova, JICA Program Coordinator for Azerbaijan, gave information in detail to workshop participants about the activities of Japan International Cooperation Agency in Azerbaijan. Senior and junior researchers, the members of Scientific Council of the institute have been participated at the workshop.
Scientific secretary Ramil Nabiyev shared with participants his knowledge and practices, which have been gained during the Training Program held in Japan. He presented his JIP-Job Improvement Plan, which he prepared at the end of Training Program in Japan, that included the challenges, countermeasures, problems to be solved of the country, current and improvement activities. After his presentation, the topic of the workshop have been broadly discussed.
Presentation by Mr.Ramil Nabiyev
During the on-the -job training